Assembling and Caring for Your Lulav & Esrog (Etrog)
Assembling your lulav bundle
- Assemble your lulav bundle before the start of Yom Tov.
- Hold the lulav with the spine (smooth side) towards you and slide it into the middle hole of the koishekle (holder).
- Place one ring around the holder and one or two rings on the lulav itself so that the lulav rustles slightly when shaken gently.
- Place the three twigs of Hadas (myrtle – small leaves like eyes) in the pocket on the right of the holder with the tops about 4” below the top of the shidra (the part of the spine where the topmost leaves emerge from it).
- Place the two leaves of Arava (willow – long leaves, like lips) in the pocket on the left of the holder. Their tops should be a little lower than the tops of the hadassim.
- Tighten the rings.
- Caring for your lulav and esrog
- Cut a rectangle of aluminium foil large enough to cover the willow and myrtle. Lay it flat and cover with a paper towel or newspaper slightly smaller.
- Moisten the paper slightly and wrap the paper and foil around the lulav bundle.
- Place the lulav bundle in the plastic bag and store in a cool place, preferably the refridgerator.
- When not in use, keep the lulav bundle wrapped with the moist paper/foil. Periodically moisten the paper.
- Keep the esrog in its plastic bag within the foam-lined box.